Evaluation, Prevention and Control of Occupational Health and Safety Hazards
Hazard identification or assessment is an important step in the overall risk assessment and risk management process. It is where individual work hazards are identified, assessed and controlled/eliminated as close to source (location of the hazard) as reasonably as possible.
As technology, resources, social expectation or regulatory requirements change, hazard analysis focuses controls more closely toward the source of the hazard. Thus, hazard control is a dynamic program of prevention. Hazard based programs also have the advantage of not assigning or implying there are “acceptable risks” in the workplace.
A hazard-based program may not be able to eliminate all risks, but neither does it accept “satisfactory” – but still risky – outcomes. And as those who calculate and manage the risk are usually managers while those exposed to the risks are a different group, workers, a hazard-based approach can by-pass conflict inherent in a risk-based approach.
The course on introduction to occupational hazard and safety, and related courses has briefly traced the concepts of occupational health and safety. Moreover, the type of hazards in the workplace and how they happen were discussed. Following this it will be logical to discuss how we can actually evaluate the hazards in the work place.
In this course we will discuss instrumentation and scientific or non-scientific methods of evaluating the nature and extent of some health problems arising in occupational setting.
At the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Define the objectives of hazard evaluation in workplace.
- Explain methods used to evaluate workplace hazards
- Discuss types of sampling
- Describe the objectives of prevention and control of occupational health and safety hazards.
- Explain the prevention and control methods of Occupational hygiene.
- List types and importance of personal protective equipment
- Discuss the difference between local exhaust ventilation and general ventilation
- Explain the reasons for misutilization of personal protective equipment.
- And many more